Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tackling the Organic Produce Curve Ball

Ok, I don't have to write a play tonight, so I have some time to deal with the curve ball that New Roots Organics threw our way. I asked them to include some item or items not on our usual donation list - kraft services embracing the spirit of 14/48 risk taking.

I got a call from Alex Samuels this afternoon that amounted to, "We have no idea what these things in the New Roots box even are." Turns out they are garlic scapes, which I have never prepared. They included a bag of crookneck squash, which I have also never prepared, but squash is squash, right?

I consulted with the lovely and culinarily talented Erin Bryn Fetridge and Kerri Brown-Wooster, and based one their advice, I have a plan. I don't know if it is a good one.

Erin says garlic scapes will be sweeter if they are charred or caramelized a bit, so I'm doing to dice some of them and do a short, high-heat saute. Then I am going to cube the squash, toss it and the scapes with olive oil, black pepper, and a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. After a quick roast, I'm going to chill it all and serve it as a cold salad finished with feta cheese.

Boom. I'll let you know how it goes. At least it keeps my mind off the fact I am a virgin actor.

Aaaand, I just tinkled down my leg. Again. Already.

UPDATE: Nailed it, at least phase one. I may have under-utilized the garlic scapes, but actors are gonna be all up in each others faces tomorrow, so I erred to the side of caution. Also subbed cardamom for the nutmeg. Smells delicious. Fine line on roasting/broiling vegetables for the cold presentation. Plan to finish it with both feta and lemon juice - needs a last sharp note, and balsamic probably too sweet and overpowering.






Now, I gotta pack a costume bag and maybe even sleep.

2 comments:

Farmer Winkler said...

Sounds good Jim. Love the switch to cardamom from nutmeg. Oh wait, is there a theatre festival happening ?!?!?

Kymberlee said...

Yum! I love the culinary risk-taking element getting thrown in.