Saturday, August 1, 2009

Mistakes Happen

In any situation that is formed around this kind of organized chaos, there are bound to be mistakes, mess-ups, errors.  This morning was no exception.  During the actor draw, we discovered that when the writers were given their assignments, there was a mix-up and the wrong number of men and women were written.  The last play of the evening was written for (and supposed to have) 3 men and 2 women, but when that director went to draw... the numbers didn't match up.  The names left were 4 women and 1 man.  
So...  what do you do?  Well, first, you do what anyone would: laugh nervously.  Most of the people in the room did.  I did.  And then I waited for some serious freaking out to happen.  But no one freaked out.  Sure, there was some nervousness, but the director, writer, and producer got together, the rest of the casts were dismissed to start their days, and within five minutes, the situation was resolved.  
I tried to eavesdrop on the conversation between the artists and mostly heard things like, "We can figure it out"  "I'm not really concerned"  "I'm sure they can do it" "We'll make it work" and "You can do whatever you need."  I was shocked and impressed.  This is the kind of attitude that makes this festival work.  This is why these artists have been chosen to be here.  And this is why you should come see the shows tonight.  I guarantee that at 8pm this evening, you would never know.  Except that I just told you.

No comments: