Friday, January 4, 2013

"I'm Not Going to Write About Games"

Last night after the meet-n-greet at 14/48, I gave Maggie Lee (a veteran playwright) a ride home. As we walked out of ACT Theatre, Maggie was already thinking of the theme "Back to Square One" and bouncing ideas around for her play.

"Do you think everyone will write about games? May be I shouldn't write about games."

"Why do you think everyone will write about games?" I asked.

"I don't know - with a theme like that... I don't want to write the same thing that everyone else is writing."
Maggie Lee, with no sleep.

"I don't think you can predict what others will do Maggie!"

"I know. But I don't think I want to write about games. And I'm not going to stay up all night. I did that last time I did 14/48. And I'm not going to do it again. Knock it out in a couple of hours, and get some rest."

Sounded to me like Maggie had a plan.

As we walked through Freeway Park towards my car, turning left and right through a labyrinth of stairs and ramps, Maggie looked a little disoriented.

"I would get lost walking through here", she said.

"I just follow the stairs upwards. Just keep going up!"

"Hey, may be this is my play. Walk through the Freeway Park", Maggie had another idea.

"Oh sure, that'll work - back to square one!" I agreed. "You're welcome to use our conversation in your play as well if you'd like."

"Sure. I'll owe you a coke", she negotiated the contract.

By the time we reached her apartment, Maggie was contemplating a show about square dancing.

"With a cast of 4, I could do it. I just don't want to write about a game, and I sure as hell don't want to stay up all night!"

If Maggie's facebook status is to be believed, apparently she was up all night, and she turned in a play titled "The White Queen" this morning. Something tells me it's about a game that has to do with squares, but I can't be sure.

Hey, anyone wanna play some chess later today?

No comments: