Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Influence of Space

So, here we are at the first week of 14/48 - January 2009. Tonight (Thursday) is the Artist's Meeting - the orientation, the meet & greet, the choosing of the theme, the writer's assignments. The first thing that strikes me is the space. The Cabaret space at ACT. I've attended (and written for) 14/48 at four other venues - the industrial feeling Consolidated Works (I still get a little nostalgic when I think of it), the alcohol free-zone of the Broadway Performance Hall, the fabulous but too-cold or too-hot CHAC, and the Center House Theater. Each venue has had an influence on the look and feel of 14/48. I'm asking myself, what will be the influence of this space on 14/48? I'm not the only one thinking about it. Troy Fischnaller says to Michael Patten that it feels a little like a gladiator's pit. Gary is explaining to me that, even though it looks smaller than CHAC, it's virtually the same seating capacity. There is a lot of talk about how great the rehearsal spaces are, how much room there is. But it feels different to me. It's quiet. I can barely imagine the raucous band pounding out that theme song next to this stage. But imagining how a show will work in a space is not my strength. And somehow, with every venue, 14/48 always delivers. Somehow, it's different but it's always the same. I am excited to see it come to life here. Yes, I am.

Becky Hellyer (now Bruhn)

No comments: