Saturday, January 15, 2011

Propers to the directors, Part 1

I'm watching Greg Carter direct. He is all business with Brandon Simmons' play. Generally he's a subtle director. His actors are struggling a bit with some of the emotional business in an otherwise absurdist play. He seems to sense they that are on the brink of a revelation but he doesn't want to coax it out of them. He likes to let things happen naturally, and it's probably for the best here.
***
On my way down the ramp, I'm wondering how I can move quietly enough not to disturb anything, I hear Erik Van Beuzekom burst into a ridiculous nervous laugh. That's my cue. I take up residence in the wings and watch the fray. Pattie Miles Van Beuzekom is trying not to laugh as Teri Lazzara does her best impression of Edward G. Robinson. The actors love her and it's easy to see why. She's relaxed and she trusts their talent. A couple of them are fretting over their pacing. "Relax," she says, "we've got plenty of time." This is not what one generally hears during 14/48. No wonder everyone enjoys the proceedings. They are all instantly at ease.
***

No comments: