Friday, January 4, 2008

My last post

My friends are sitting in the house but I have to sit with the artists in the loft. The thing I enjoy about the loft is the bird's eye view of the whole space. I see Carl Sander selling tickets to the Valentine's Day show. I see Audrey Bates running lines at a table. I see the lighting gals (I so wish I knew their names) in the booth. I see Matt Richter pacing and preparing the opening speech. I see the bartender working his behind off. I see my friends in the fourth row anticipating my play. Damn, I hope it's good - for them if for no other reason.

At intermission, I end up with two glasses of wine. (A friend bought me one right as I was ordering another!) I throw one in the garbage. I can't risk that level of intoxication tonight. Andy says a woman from the P.I or some other paper is there. I think about how impossible it would be to review 14/48. It's different every night - every year. Sometimes it's works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it kicks ass. It's always great.

I love my piece. No messed up lines. Good pacing. Strong choices. They've made it better than it was.

The show is over. I get my next assignment - three men, one woman. The theme is "Reason to Believe." I know it from a song by Rod Stewart about desperate love. Jodi-Paul swears it refers to a Bruce Springsteen song.

The writers head out again. Paul Shipp says, "Good luck!" Brian says, "Don't get too drunk!" My friends congratulate me on the ride home. "Even if you fail tomorrow," says one, "you've had 50% success." It's a great way to look at it.

My blogging duties are offically over. So, I head home and pop some popcorn and think about reasons to believe. "If I listen long enough to you, I'd find a way to believe that it's all true." Rod Stewart. Gotta love him.

Becky Hellyer - 14/48 writer

No comments: